You are probably having issues with your car battery, and you think you need to get a new one. These are the things to keep in mind before buying a new one:
1. If properly taken care of, your car battery is supposed to last for a minimum of five years. If you live in an area with hot climatic condition, you may encounter a battery fault in about three years.
2. Some of the major causes of a car battery developing faults prematurely include prolonged overcharging/undercharging, abuse as well as excessive vibration.
3. Even when a vehicle is parked, its systems are creating a tiny but constant drain on the car battery.
4. Before you make an attempt to replace your car battery yourself, you should ensure the owner’s manual is properly consulted. You should set aside at least 30 minutes to finish the job.
5. It is very important you purchase the right battery replacement. So as to avoid guesswork, take the old battery with you to the battery purchase store.
6. When you purchase a new car battery, make sure it is fully charged before it is installed, otherwise, you risk overloading and damaging the battery’s charging system; which is not designed to recharge a dead battery.
7. It is important to follow the right order of disabling the cables of the dead car battery; the negative cable should always be disabled first.
8. If you are trying to remove the dead car battery, carefully remove the clamping device or the battery hold-down.
9. There is an electrolyte solution in car batteries, and this is an extremely corrosive and strong acid. So, you should prevent the solution from leaking by keeping the battery in an upright position.10. After the new battery has been placed in the battery tray, you want to make secure it is secured with the clamping device.
This helps to minimize the vibration- a major factor that contributes to premature battery fault. You should also check the battery cables for corrosion, and, if possible, clean the cables. Prevent further corrosion by applying petroleum jelly or grease.
Don’t forget, if your battery dies and leaves you stranded on the side fo the road, you can always call us at Chandler Towing and Recovery (or contact us at ChandlerTowingServices.com) and we’ll get you off the road as quickly as possible.